Saturday, September 14, 2013

Forever Annoying

So, this was the second week of the villains month at DC called "Forever Evil."
As far as I can tell, so far it's Forever Boring.

 Last week's "Forever Evil #1" by Johns and Finch was ok. It was pretty to look at, and the Dick Grayson reveal was interesting, but it was otherwise predictable, if not ridiculous, with Ultraman pushing the moon in front of the sun, and Luthor kneeling wondering where is Superman to save him. Cute, having Lex get religion when the chips are down. Never saw THAT before. (Note to self: Sarcasm looks like everything else in type)

I confess, I did not read everyone of the tie-ins. I am not millionaire Bruce Wayne, or even Hundredaire Phil McKlosky. And the gaul of DC comics to make 3D covers?! REALLY?! Did I fall asleep and someone turned the clock back to 1985? If so, call my stock broker! I have some investments to make. But, seriously, you want us to buy these freakin' things, then you jack the price up a buck for a dumb gimmick? So I grabbed a few non-3D books that I would have read anyway.

Last week I read:
Cyborg Superman #1 Ridiculous and convoluted story and the art looked rushed.
Count Vertigo #1, on the other hand, actually worked. Even the 3D cover made sense, since they all made me dizzy and gave me a headache. The story was a nice background piece on the Count and really fleshed out his character, and the art was consistent with the current team of Lemire and Sorrentino providing both. I've been pleased with the current situation at Green Arrow since #17 when Lemire and Sorrentino took over, doing their best to wipe away the horrible taste left in our mouths from the first 16 issues of GA in the New 52.

This week so far I've read:
Lobo #1... uh... what the actual fuck is going on here? As redesigns go, this one is incomprehensible.
What was wrong with Lobo? He was a great character just the way he was. Over the top violent and equal parts comedy and sci-fi. Now he looks like he was redesigned for a Twilight movie franchise. Stupid.
Black Manta #1 Not great. Overall unnecessary story about Black Manta's POV when the Crime Syndicate gathers the criminals in "Forever Evil." The only important part of the story is that when Ultraman moves the moon in front of the sun he causes a massive tidal disruption that wipes out part of Massachusetts. The part where Black Manta's dad is buried. So now, his anger is aimed at Ultraman instead of Aquaman.  Meh.

Honestly, if the big comics companies want to engage us in these multi-faceted crossover events, they really should be more concerned with creating well written stories instead of stupid gimmick cover treatments. These books cost a lot of money for a 10-15 minute read. They need to remember that, in this economy, 'disposable income' does NOT exist, and the only thing disposable here is their product.
As for Marvel, their big event is "Infinity." Ok, so Thanos, the mad Titan, the avatar of death, the purple guy at the end of the Avengers movie that non-comics fans thought was Hellboy, is once again after the infinity gems/infinity gauntlet. Again I am left wondering if I missed out on some time-travel experiment. But, I will say that this event is far more contained then the DC event. Sure, there are a bunch of crossover mini-series, but you can easily avoid them and get the main story from three book: Infinity, Avengers and New Avengers.
The story is big and a bit unwieldy, but it's got a nice, classic cosmic Marvel feel, and plenty of over-the-top Alien/God characters to make it entertaining.

The books I'm actually interested in these days are "Kings Watch," "Superior Spider-Man," and "Batman '66."

Kings Watch #1 by Parker and Laming is a nice update of the "Defenders of the Earth" team of The Phantom, Flash Gordon and Mandrake the Magician. If my Dad were here, this is a book I'd have to share with him, and I would do it gladly. It's well written, the artwork is beautiful and it's got some good solid classic characters that are treated well in an update. Highly recommended.
Batman '66 #1-2 So far this book has been great. The story, also by Jeff Parker, is quirky and campy, the characters retain their 1966 voices, and the artwork is perfect. The first issue art by Jonathan Case is trippy and wacky, and the second issue, by the amazing Ty Templeton is, well, amazing! Also highly recommended.
Superior Spider-man #17 Dan Slott has taken a LOT of shit for what he's done to Spider-man/Peter Parker, and I am among those who gave it to him. Now, I am intrigued by this book and the odd turns it takes, especially the latest turn where a time vortex brings the Spider-Man from 2099 to 2013. I will say, I am compelled to read each issue... BUT ... I am only doing so, hoping that Peter returns SOON. I mean, Ock is really destroying his life! Spider Island? Minions? What the hell more can he do? I probably shouldn't ask. This I can only recommend to fans that know and love Spider-man, and if that's you, you are probably already reading this.

Ok, enough. Let me know what you're reading.
Thanks,
-Rickman

No comments:

Post a Comment