Monday, June 17, 2013

Hey Folks!
Yeah, I know, it's been a while. Sorry.

SO! Comics! I wanted to talk a little about a comic that I am really excited about, "The Wake," by Scott Snyder and Sean Murphy. Snyder has been pumping out some interesting work recently, i.e.: "Batman: Year Zero" and "Superman: Unchained," but "The Wake" has me really psyched.

As some of my friends know, I am a BIG fan of The Creature from the Black Lagoon. I created a comic character many years ago, "Fishman," that you may have seen if you've been in the store in the last few years, and I have an extensive collection of Creature memorabilia. This book almost made my head explode. First off, I absolutely love Sean Murphy's artwork. I was introduced to him with "Joe the Barbarian," written by Grant Morrison, and then with "Punk Rock Jesus," (and if anyone knows where I can procure a copy of issue #2, I'd really appreciate it!) where not only his artwork AND writing, but the packaging was awesome. "Punk Rock Jesus" was printed in black and white on the pulpy news print we used to see during the indy boom of the 80's. The texture of the artwork and the paper gave that book an incredible, nostalgic feel, and the story gave you a punch in the gut, like the best of the books from the 80's. All around an amazing read. I highly recommend it.

In "The Wake," Snyder and Murphy are treating us to a sea creature story that, from the very first page, draws you in with a fine tuned, cinematic flair. We are introduced to the main character, Dr. Lee Archer, who seems to be in some far-flung future where there has apparently been an apocalypse of some type, and the city is practically under water. We are then brought back to the present, where Dr. Archer meets Agent Astor Cruz, who looks like Jean Reno from "The Professional." I can't help reading that character in "Leon's" voice. The story continues to include a few more characters, it dives deeper into the intrigue and has an awesome reveal at the end. Go find the first issue NOW! It will be gone soon and you will kick yourself for missing this.

I'll be back soon (no, really... I MEAN it...) with more. In the meantime, what have you been reading? Tell me about it in the comments or on our Facebook page.

Thanks for reading,
-Rickman

No comments:

Post a Comment